Monday, November 14, 2011

Spools

Grandma C was very "old-fashioned," and I loved visiting her house (only 2 houses away) as a little girl. She kept a few things on hand for kids to play with, geared towards raising her own kids in the early part of the century. She had a shoebox of buttons to string on a string (with a big darning needle), and if you found a BIG button, you could make one of those zinging "spinning button" things. She had marbles. She had dolls. And she had a shoebox of wooden spools that you could also string on a string. I found all of this very interesting, and to this day I LOVE WOODEN SPOOLS. I have some on hand that I've found here and there, and enjoy seeing them in amongst my "sewing stuff."


I finally finished putting together twelve "Spool" blocks. Today the sky has high, heavy clouds, so the light in the house isn't very good for taking pictures. That's difficult at best! So I hauled these blocks out to the yard to take a picture. Not sure what order I'll sew them together in, but it'll be 3 X 4 blocks, like this. So anyway, here they are in all their variety. Another small, fun project to work on. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment