Thursday, November 3, 2011

Another Iron In the Fire

I only have *ahem* 7 or 8 or more different little quilting projects going on. I have PLENTY of irons in the fire! But lo and behold, I have one more I started the last day or so. Why?


Because this wall looked bare above my old-fashioned cabinet.





So, because I have an affinity for Amish quilts...


... and because I have this stack of plain fabrics on hand (I don't even remember where I got these! Auction? Thrift store? Hmm.) ...




... and because I like the "trip around the world" (or "sunshine and shadows") pattern ...




... I'm making an Amish-style wall hanging to fill in that bare spot above the cabinet. I have to say Amish-style, because I'm not Amish. I'm a Christian believer who is a member of a Mennonite Church, so kind of related, but not actually Amish. But still ... I have a deep appreciation of how the Amish live a life of faith and simplicity in a unique way. I really feel it speaks volumes in our "modern world."




So you see that little stack of blocks in the back? That's 12 sets of squares out of 15 for 12 more rows of little squares. What you see being worked on are 3 rows "at a time" so I can kind of save on thread between squares. Let's see ... 15 X 15 = 225 little squares. First, of course, I had to CUT OUT 225 squares, so many of each color. Then I had to LAY OUT 225 squares in the pattern I needed, and PICK THEM BACK UP AGAIN in rows. Now I have to SEW TOGETHER 225 squares. Then add some various borders, then quilt it, then bind it. It may take a bit, but I'm excited to have an Amish-style wall hanging on my wall!

No comments:

Post a Comment