Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Double-Knit Comforter

Here's the double-knit comforter my mother made from scraps back in the 70's. I love the way she arranged the pieces into somewhat of a pattern. Very colorful, and being double-knit, very warm, even with no batting.




See those dark squares of brown and black check?




That material was a skirt and vest for me. I really liked it. I think I wore it with a sort of light, peach-colored long-sleeved blouse. This is my high school freshman picture. I think I look like a dork. But oh well, maybe I am one! :)




Then, you see that nice, cheerful RED?




Our school colors were red and white back then. This is our Pep Club from the 1976-77 school year. At that time, the girls (most likely moms!) made their pep club outfits. The previous year's outfit, from looking in that yearbook, was slacks and a shirt with an inset plaid yoke. I'll bet that was tedious! But this particular year, it was red slacks and a short-sleeved jacket, worn with a white shirt and a polka-dotted scarf. So that's where the red blocks came from. In this photo from the yearbook, I'm in the top row, fourth from the right, with long hair and glasses.



You can also see some dark-and-light-blue-and-gray-checked squares. Wow, that brings back memories! Perhaps during my sophomore year, since it contained a zipper, I used this material in Home Ec. class to make a pair of slacks. With a yoke. And a zipper. With the zipper in the BACK. And I had to MATCH THOSE CHECKS. And our teacher would make us rip out seams if they weren't straight. :) (Nonetheless, this was my favorite class and favorite teacher!)



I thought the sheet backing was in worse shape than it is, so perhaps I won't have to do as much as I thought, and can kind of "patch" it somehow. So we'll see what works out to repair this.




Here you can see the seams - I'm sure Mom used the sewing machine to put them together.




So it will be fun to have this out and usable again. Makes me think of Mom, and of my high school years. It's definitely a "happy" comforter to me!

2 comments:

  1. I tried to leave a comment yesterday but either my computer or Blogger would not let me.
    I really like this double knit quilt and am glad you shared it.
    I have a similar one that my grandma made in the 70s, mine is just squares, all random, but all bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rhonda - I just saw your grandma's quilt on your blog - I like it! I always look at scrap quilts, wondering what each fabric was made into before, and just seeing what-all was available fabric-wise at that time. It's almost like a "visual history." :)

    ReplyDelete