Sunday, October 23, 2011

Footloose and Fancy Free

Since I got that Jacob's Ladder quilt out of my head for awhile, I'm turning myself loose to have a little fun with the fabric and sewing machine! Early in the year, there was a "pay it forward" post on facebook, where you said that the first 5 people who commented, would get something handmade from the post-er sometime in 2011. Well, here it is October, and I've been mulling over ideas for a long time, and just now getting around to actually doing something. I had four people comment, so I'm making "mug rugs" to send them, plus an extra to another friend, plus one for me.


I kept it really, really simple, because I need something that's simple, and fun, and quick, and easy seams, and NOT 1-inch triangles like I'm running into in the Farmer's Wife blocks! So I just cut out wide strips, and am sewing them together in blocks. Then I'll add batting and backing, "machine quilt" the seams, add a binding, and voila ... a mug rug. I tried to pick fabrics for each one according to what I thought each recipient would like. Here I'm in the middle of sewing, one done on the left, two getting sewn, and three stacks of strips in the background waiting their turn on the machine.



It was quick and fun, and I enjoyed sewing long, straight seams for a change!!! Here are the six "tops" done, ready for a pressing and the next steps to finish them. It's nice when you make something that's just free-wheeling and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment