Monday, January 3, 2011

The "Curiosity" Quilt

In the first post on this blog, I showed a picture and article from back in the '60's, of my Grandma Cline and some of the quilts she had made. In this picture, again, you can see a quilt to her immediate right (viewer's left) called a "Curiosity" pattern, according to the article:





I have this very quilt! After Grandma passed away, her things were divided up, and we ended up with this quilt. I remember that one of the years I was in college, I used it as a bedspread in my dorm room. So it's showing a little wear from that and all the previous years, and all the years since. And somehow, I see there's some water-damage of some kind, but not completely ruinous.


There are several things to notice about this quilt. The solid blue used in both some of the blocks and for sashing between the blocks. Added piecing of strips and/or various little pieced blocks to make the finished block sizes match. All the various prints and patterns, which is one thing I always enjoy about old quilts - seeing the types of material available back in that day. And for some reason, I particularly like the border and binding on this quilt - it's fun and colorful! Here's a picture of the whole quilt - sorry this one is just a tad blurry:




Here it is in sections - top left section ...




... top right section ...




... bottom right section ...




... and bottom left section.




Now to show the blocks, in no particular order.


A little flower basket and a square to help fill out:




Lavender flower:




Tan-and-white pieced block - wow this looks tedious to me! There are two of these blocks in the quilt, this one looks best:




A pieced hexagon with four 9-patch blocks:




Pink and blue "flower":




Double 9-patch:




Fan with 9-patch:




Friendship block - "Miss Was":




Spiral, blue with interesting black print:




Red and white blocks on point:




A 9-patch variation with "pointed" corners:




Blue plaid pinwheel:




Two star-type blocks:




Spiral, blue with rose print:




Spiral, blue with floral print:




Bowtie:




Crazy-pieced hexagon with interesting-patterned black fill-in strip:




And lastly, a favorite "corner view" - showing a 4-patch (in each of the corners) and the border and binding I like so much:

No comments:

Post a Comment