Saturday, January 1, 2011

Repurposing



This is a skirt.


This is only a skirt.


If this had been an actual wardrobe item, I'd be wearing it.


(Remember those "broadcasting tests" on TV and radio? ha ha)


In these times where we tend to "think green" (recycling, etc.), the word "repurposing" often comes up. Instead of throwing an item away, you overhaul it for another purpose.


I am going to "repurpose" this skirt.


I got it at the thrift store for A DOLLAR. I liked the "country prints," and I like long skirts. But it's a little big on me, so it tends to slide down, which bugs me. The style isn't what you'd call "current." The materials are pretty bold. So I'm picturing .... a tied comforter made out of big squares, with a denim-colored binding. It may not be very big, it may be a "kid-sized" comforter. But that's where it's headed at this point! Of course, it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind if she wishes. :)


This all makes me think of a favorite old-time saying:


"Use it up; wear it out; make it do or do without."


Thinking that this skirt really doesn't have a future if I send it back to the thrift store, I'll give it a whole new life as a totally different item. And have creative fun in the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment