Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tumbling Blocks

In this photo of Grandma Cline and her quilts, the article refers to the one on the far left (her far right) as "made from a pattern of General Eisenhower's mother." We always called it "Tumbling Blocks." It's very colorful, using all kinds of scraps.





This one is similar to the one in the article photo. Grandma pieced the top, then later on when I was a little older (after Grandma had passed away), Mom and I quilted it. This is the first quilt I did any "real" quilting on. I haven't used it a whole lot, so it's in pretty decent shape.




Here is a closeup of the pieces. I love seeing the different types of fabric prints in these old quilts - seeing what was available back in those days.

4 comments:

  1. WOW! That's a very pretty quilt! I think it's very interesting to see the fabrics and prints they used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey RHonda
    The quilt hanging on the right in your top photo...where did you get that? I made one for my mom with those colors and guess who has it now....ME that's who....can you believe in another life I made 7 quilt tops with the help of Lorena Wilson....Erma's mom....the very first day she GRABBED my scissors out of my hands and TERRIFIED me so much I went home and cried to RUSTY that I had made a huge mistake...But I kept going back to her house for more lessons and soon we loved each other...later when I married Jene...she HUMPPED and said I SURE HOPE HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS GETTING INTO...not even a congratulions or anything...She gave us a doily for a wedding gift....and said the starch would probably out last the marriage...we are working on 19 years....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Robin, that's something about working with Lorena! I'm glad that worked out for the better. :) I'm glad you and Jene have had 19 years so far despite her outlook. :) When Doug was going to ask me out at first, Fleeta Love stuck her upper lip out and said, "Won't do ya no good ...." Well, we're coming up on 20 years in June. :) About the quilt - that's the one I bought at your garage sale back around the time I was expecting Jonathan - I remember I was working on it then anyway. I may have gotten it a little before that maybe. Every time I see that quilt I think of you, and am glad we have become friends. :) I think that's great that you've made some quilt tops!

    ReplyDelete