Sunday, June 5, 2011

Quilt Top - Painted Pets and Gingham

Back when I was a kid, it was a popular craft to make pictures on cloth with tube paints, basically drawing with color. I do remember going to one lady's house, where she was hosting a party for this product. I remember making a few pictures. Then as that fad passed, I forgot all about it. In recent years, going through Mom's cedar chest before we sold the house, I found this quilt top she had put together from several of these painted cloth pictures. I thought they were all kittens, but after looking closer, there are also pups and rabbits. But most precious to me is the fact that some have names on them. The ones that don't, I assume maybe Mom or myself may have done some, but who knows. Anyway, she set them together with this cheerful pink gingham. Soon on my project list is to pin this with batting and backing and quilt it. I've got a pink-and-gray flowered pattern on white for the backing fabric. Then I'll bind it in solid pink. Meanwhile, here's the top.


Full view of the quilt top.




Blowing in the breeze.




The bottom section.




Knitting pup, me, 1970. I would've been 7 or 8 years old.




Drumming rabbit, Bertha (one of Grandma's friends).




Knitting pup (with some bright neon!).




Kitten and ribbon.




Drumming rabbit, Vertie (Grandma, Mom's mom).




Kitten and ribbon, me.




Kitten and ribbon, "Junior" (Dad).




Knitting pup, Ruby (my aunt, Dad's sister-in-law).




Cross-stitch kitten.




Knitting pup, Bertha.




Cross-stitch pup, "Dog," me.




Trumpet pup, Vivian (I assume the lady who was our town librarian at the time).




Kitten and ribbon, Sula, 1970 (one of Grandma's friends).



Trumpet pup.




Knitting pup (with a very bright neon dress!), Nellie (my aunt, Dad's sister-in-law).




Drumming rabbit, me.




Trumpet pup, me.




Drumming rabbit.




Kitten and ribbon.




Trumpet pup, Vertie (Grandma).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Becky! I'm sure eager to quilt this and see how it turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete