Thursday, July 7, 2011

Changing Horses

You may have heard the old saying about "changing horses in the middle of the stream." Well, I'm changing borders in the middle of the quilt! I showed this quilt top in an earlier post, that Mom had put together at one point with "painted" picture squares and joined with pink gingham sashing.



You notice in the picture above that there is no gingham around the outside of the blocks. So ... I knew I'd have to put something around this to "finish it out," so to speak. The obvious thing would be to find matching gingham, but that was not to be found. Wallyworld had a few ginghams, but no pink. So, I looked for just some kind of pink florally-print that might "go." I bought what I thought would work, and took it home. Well, pattern-wise it may have worked, but that hue of pink didn't really match the original pink gingham.



But I thought that was all I had to work with (nothing else in my stash seemed to match), so I went as far as to cut out the borders. But that color clash was BUGGING ME, BIG TIME. It nagged and nagged and nagged in my brain. "That's not the same hue. It isn't going to look good."


Thankfully, I listened to myself, and took another look through the fabrics I had on hand. "Hmm, here's a pink with some floral, plus a bit of blue in it." I think I thought I just wanted pink/white in the border, is why I didn't look at it before. But ... I pulled it out, compared it with the quilt top ... the pink hues matched almost perfectly! *Sigh of relief!* Now I won't have to be bugged by a bad choice!



You can see both border materials here, the clashing one on the right that almost has a "violet" tone to it compared to the gingham, and the matching one on the left. I even think those blue flowers will work, to match up with some of the blue colors in the blocks. Don't be afraid to make a change if something is bugging you, even if you're right in the midst of it. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! I'm happy now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment