Thursday, July 28, 2011

Misfit Quilt

A long, long time ago ... I mean YEARS and YEARS ... I found a quilt for sale in a consignment/crafts shop. CHEAP. I'm thinking perhaps in the 50-cent range? Well ... there are a lot of things "wrong" with it. But I didn't care - I was drawn to the cheerful colors and prints in it.





It's kind of a 4-patch in pattern, arranged diagonally across the quilt. Blues and pinks predominate. It's actually not quilted, and it has no batting at all. All it is is the top and the backing, joined at the edge.




I love the fabric patterns and colors in these little 4-patches.




The back is a bold floral print ...




... brought around for part of the border.




But several of the seams are undone and ravelly.




And ... probably why it was so cheap in the first place ... it has a big wax spot in one place. Now ... when I first got it, the wax chunk was HUGE. THICK. I mean it was a regular boulder of wax. I wasn't sure how to deal with it, so I've just had this poor little quilt put away all this time, wondering what to do with it. But during all that storage time, the wax chunk has somehow shrunk to this flat wax spot, and I think perhaps I can scrape this on both sides, maybe try the fels-naptha soap treatment, and see if it will come out. What I imagine is, someone used this as a tablecloth (maybe it was made just for that!), and a wax candle dripped on it.




I just had this flopped over the clothesline, here are some more pretty prints on the other side.




Bigger view of the other side.




So, even with being a "misfit" with a lot of problems (Hey, I identify with that. I'm a misfit with lots of problems, too.), I hope I can try to tackle that wax stain, stitch a few seams closed, and have a colorful table-topper or picnic quilt. Whether it's a person or a thing, give a "misfit" a chance, you might be surprised and pleased. :)

2 comments:

  1. what a good story! I like pretty nice quilts but I like quirky quilts like this the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love things with "character." :)

    ReplyDelete