Thursday, September 29, 2011

Fall Lineup












No, I don't mean the TV program lineup! ha ha


I hadn't made a "leaf" block before in quilting, though I've seen several different designs. Some have an applique stem, which thoroughly intimidated me. I DON'T DO APPLIQUE. (But I did see a "soft-edge applique," which I may try ... stay tuned.)


In these "Farmer's Wife" blocks is a pattern for a "Maple Leaf" block, with an easy-to-do pieced stem. So I decided since it was fall, and I wanted to try the leaf block, I'd make a few for perhaps a wall hanging or a table runner. I'm really happy with what I was able to find in my material "stash," to represent different colors of fall leaves. Plus two different light blue fabrics for the background, to represent an autumn "sky."


Younger Son thinks they look like GEESE. (The stem being the goose's neck.) I guess it's all in perspective!


I'm planning to put these blocks together with sashing, either in a line, or in a rectangle. I'll have fun playing around with the arrangement, and seeing what kind of fabrics to use for the sashing, and maybe some additional border.


But after doing these blocks, I think I know why the Jacob's Ladder quilt bugs me ... I'm just not a big fan of light blue!!! In small doses, ok. All over everywhere, not so much!

2 comments:

  1. we are making Maple Leaves in our guild's quarterly block challenge and yours are lovely...not sure what colors I am using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kathryn! I hope you enjoy making the blocks for your challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete