Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sometimes Quilting is Full of Angst



I AM TIRED OF THIS QUILT. It brings out angst in me.


Sometimes you have to push yourself with a quilting project for whatever reason.


I started this particular "Jacob's Ladder" THING maybe four or five years ago. We were living in the apartment at the time. I hadn't quilted in quite awhile. I decided to get back into some kind of quilting project. So I made a little "cowboy" wall hanging (which got put in the local fair that year), and I made a few of these "Jacob's Ladder" quilt blocks. I was piecing by hand.


I started with making four blocks, with the intent of just making a little square wall hanging. Then I cut out enough pieces for a dozen. But I only got a few blocks pieced. Then I put them away. Then we moved.


Then I got them out again after I got to going on quilting again. By this time, I had my sewing machine out once more, and pieced the rest of them by machine. I sewed the blocks together, and put a border around them.


I hate the border. The fabric pattern and shade of blue are all wrong for the blocks.


But I've left it there, there it stays, and I'm quilting it.


I was quilting this and the "Log Cabin" this last spring and summer, wondering which I'd put in the local fair in August. Well, my "like" kept leaning towards the Log Cabin, so I concentrated on it and got it done. I put the Jacob's Ladder 'way on the back burner.


Now I have it out again. *SIGH* It's probably 2/3 or 3/4 quilted.


I like these fabrics, yet in this quilt, they are grating on me for some reason. I'M TIRED OF LOOKING AT THIS FABRIC COMBINATION. And that border. But I'm continuing on. I will finish this quilt. Someday.

2 comments:

  1. Been there....done that! :-) We all have these quilts and I must say it is the perfect one to say it can be used for a picnic quilt or something like that since you like it less which ends up making you like it more...lol. I cannot see that the blue is wrong on the border but that might be seeing it on the computer instead of in real life. Just enjoy the stitches and think about having a picnic when it is done...

    Hugs from Holland,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or ... I'll hang it on the wall or lay it on the couch, and everytime I see it, I'll think, "Ha-HA!!! I DID finish you!" LOL Yes, in person, the blue of the border kind of clashes with the other blues - just doesn't quite fit. But I did realize it has flowery stuff like the yellow pieces. I'll be anxious to have the quilting on this DONE. :)

    ReplyDelete