Monday, September 19, 2011

FW Plus

It's been awhile since I posted any pictures of the Farmer's Wife blocks, between a lot to do, general chaos, plus the fact that these recent blocks contained a lot of TINY PIECES. I try to make these in groups of four (no particular order), just for picture-taking ease. So here's the latest bunch that got finished.


Cut Glass Dish, Weathervane.




Heh, on that "Weathervane" block, you could almost imagine looking from directly above - the dark weathervane, the red barn, and a yard full of flowers! Ha!


Four Winds, Windblown Square.




I've got particular things in mind for the block patterns I picked, relating to my grandparents and parents, and the influence of the rural way of life, farming and homesteading. Mom talked about western Kansas in the "Dirty '30's," and told how the wind would blow dirt from everywhere. You could tell which way the wind was blowing from the color of the dirt. For example if it was red, it was coming from the south, from Oklahoma. The day Liberal got hit with a tornado, she said they had seen ALL the colors of dirt that day - wind from every direction! So "Windblown Square" and "Four Winds" blocks make me think of all this. Even the colors in the fabric - orange-red, tan-brown, etc. Even the "swirls" in the dark green fabric suggest the wind blowing!


Then you have "Weathervane," which in actuality, weathervanes were (and still are) found on the tops of barns. They featured some kind of figure, like a running horse or a rooster, plus indicators as to which way the wind was blowing. This is a horse clock my Hubby got me awhile back, but it looks similar to what you might find on a weathervane. Plus, to the left is a glass "water" thermometer for the weather aspect. Little bobbers float in a column of water, and you can tell by which one is at the top what temperature it is.




When I thought of the "Cut Glass Dish" block, I immediately thought of Depression Glass (a favorite) in pink and green colors. Mom had a bunch, and I kick myself that I didn't keep ALL of it. I did keep a few pieces, but they're put away where I can't find them! Imagine that! They're "safely" in a bin somewhere in this house. Meanwhile, I did have this pink cut-glass-type dish that fit as well, so I put it in with the block for a picture. Just an example of how I have tangible ideas and memories for each of these blocks I'm making. And even with the teeny-tiny pieces, I'm enjoying it. I may tear my hair out before it's over, but I'm having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment