Thursday, August 11, 2011

Home County Fair Quilt Exhibits and Contest

About a month ago, we enjoyed visiting my hometown in the neighboring state for a few days. As it was, they were having their county fair! I've missed that so much, so was truly glad to get to take in some of it!


One day was the judging of fair exhibits at the high school. One favorite category, of course, is the needlework, including quilts. This year, the Extension Office held a "quilt block contest," furnishing kits of material to those interested to come up with a quilt block design. I really liked this idea! If I was living there, I'd have done one for sure. Here's a picture of all the quilt blocks that were entered.




The top three blocks in the photo are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners in the quilt block contest. I think all the blocks are going to be made into a quilt top and quilted, and displayed or raffled or something at NEXT year's fair. Ought to be pretty!




Needlework exhibit room.







Closer views of hanging quilts.






















Exhibits on tables.








2 comments:

  1. that looks like a lot of fun! I am glad you got to go. I love looking at handwork that "real" home people make.
    The stars in the next to last photo, do you think they are potholders? they sure are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not exactly sure what those stars are, but they are cute! I always think about how much time it takes to piece and quilt some of these big quilts, that grand champion one being a good example. Wow!

    ReplyDelete